Friday, July 23, 2010

THE LOCKER

This was written on a plane to Bangalore in March. I find I write compulsively while in transit, either out of boredom or just a sense of weightlessness, of the unsaid but sure knowledge that nothing is required of me until I arrive. I also find I tend to revise poems as I copy them down - from napkins and scraps onto pages, or from dirtied scratchings into a 'fair' version - so, this one has been revised a little bit and probably will be again until I'm tired of feeling imprecise.

The Locker

The face you wear is hairless,
no grace in your shapes;
your relief is no escape,
your body bends and shifts -
this landscape is not made of paper.

Later stones skim
over this gleaming mirror,
skip and shatter.
Ripples collide, rebel and return.
The sea is a surface where
men may read strange thoughts.
You, sailor boy, don't forget:
remember that mermaids
are sea-monsters too.

This face you wear does not care
to cast its shadow, 
but below these gaping waters
they all know your name.
Head up, young person. Head up.

No comments:

Post a Comment